Date: 03 July 2021 - 03 July 2021
Time: 09:00AM - 13:30PM
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Pindrop Foundation Cochlear Implant Roadshow 2021
The impact of hearing loss has far-reaching consequences on a person’s life; from communication challenges to isolation, loneliness. increased risk of depression, mental health issues, cognitive decline, and dementia.
Over the past thirty years, advancements in cochlear implant technology have changed the lives of many adults affected by a severe or profound hearing loss, giving them access to hearing in a real-world setting, with improved health and quality of life outcomes. Yet this life-changing technology is being underutilized for New Zealand adults.
The aim of this roadshow is to raise awareness about the benefits of cochlear implants for adults in addition to identifying who is an appropriate candidate for an implant and how to refer them into the publically funded cochlear implant programmes.
The half-day roadshow includes a keynote address from one of New Zealand's leading cochlear implant surgeons, Bill Baber, in addition to presentations about the cochlear implant programmes, cochlear implant technology and hearing assistive technologies, case studies and an expert discussion panel.
Bringing together what it means to be working towards a Healthier Hearing New Zealand 2021.
Join us for this educational seminar which will cover:
- What is involved in cochlear implant surgery and who is a suitable candidate
- Funding cochlear implants for adults in New Zealand.
- How to identify and refer suitable candidates to the publically funded cochlear implant programmes.
- Cochlear implant technology and hearing assistive technologies.
- A case study from a bilateral cochlear implant user.
- A panel discussion on improving access and referrals for adults affected by severe hearing loss in your community.